Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The archetypal kiwi summer

The kiwi lifestyle has often been talked about and after 8 years I think I can now say that it has become familiar to us this summer. We rented a bach recently near Tutukaka. For those who may not know, 'the bach' is a New Zealand holiday home which is very simple, usually near the beach. The origin of the word 'bach' comes from bachelor, due to the simplicity of the lifestyle; consumption of barbecued food, beer, and a wooden shack to sleep in. The simple pleasures of whiling away hours at the beach, looking at the sea life, even doing some anachronistic sunbathing.
If I had to leave NZ I would really miss the native New Zealand trees. These extraordinary coastal flax plants were just back from beach at Woolleys Bay.

I don't know what type of flax this is. Actually I'm not sure it is a flax. I havn't found it on the internet where I have only found two types of NZ flax. The flower stalks are at least 3 metres tall. Actually it looks more like a succulent.

Being buried is one of the things Joe loves to do on the beach. Here he is on the beach at Matapouri Bay, one of the biggest beaches in the Whangarei area, which boasts about 100 beaches.

No comments: